The purpose of the Society is to increase understanding through research and education of the role of omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease.
The Society aims to achieve its goals by:
- Promoting research on omega-3 fatty acids and their applications in the management of diseases;
- Clarifying the differential effects of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, and increasing awareness of the importance of the omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio in human health and disease;
- Organizing regional and international research conferences;
- Disseminating the latest research findings through publications and newsletters;
- Establishing and maintaining a website as an information resource for scientists, professionals, and the public;
- Serving as a network for individuals and organizations interested in omega-3 fatty acids;
- Providing authoritative statements on the role of omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease.